As with the Black Russian the White Russian is a classic that has been around since the Cold War era. The White Russian has been named not because it is a traditional Russian drink but due to the fact that the drink contains vodka. Rather it is a pun on the name of the anti-Bolshevik “White Russians” from the Russian Civil War.
This recipe serves 1
- 1½ measures vodka
- 1 measure coffee liqueur (e.g. Tia Maria or Kahlua)
- 1 measure light cream
- Garnish: 1 stemmed cherry
There are many ways you can prepare a White Russian, here are three;
- Add the vodka, coffee liqueur, cream and ice into a cocktail shaker and shake once or twice, then strain over an ice filled rocks glass and decorate with a stemmed cherry.
- First pour the vodka over an ice filled rocks glass, then add the coffee liqueur, then the cream, finally add a straw for the drinker to mix it.
- Mix the vodka and coffee liqueur and strain into an ice filled rocks glass, then using the back of a spoon, layer 1 measure of cream on top.
- A Colorado Bulldog is a White Russian with added coke.
- A White Cuban is a White Russian with rum instead of vodka.
- A Bolshevik or Blonde Russian replaces the cream in a White Russian with Irish Crème liqueur, usually Baileys.
- A Larry’s White Russian is a White Russian but with added Malibu/coconut flavoured liquor added.
- A Dirty Russian is a White Russian with added chocolate syrup.
- A Brown Russian is a White Russian with added chocolate powder.
- To suit individual’s needs whether they are dieting needs or those just watching their waist line, in a White Russian you can use goats milk, soy milk, or skimmed milk.